October 7, 2012 - 6:00 PM
OEC Auditorium on the Saint Paul campus of the University of St. Thomas
This is a ticketed event.
Red Balloon Bookshop is honored (and very excited!) to welcome legendary author Lois Lowryto speak about the final book in The Giver Quartet, Son.
TICKET INFORMATION: This is a ticketed event. Two event tickets are free when you purchase Son (available Oct. 2) or any of Lois Lowry’s hardcover books from Red Balloon Bookshop. These tickets will also give you your place in the signing line. Additional general admission tickets may be purchased for $5.00 (these tickets are for the presentation only, not for the signing line).
PRE-ORDER SON and PAY TODAY! This is the best way to make sure you have a seat and a place in the signing line! You can order online by clicking “add to cart” or call Red Balloon at 651-224-8320. When you pre-order and pay we'll reserve your book(s) and ticket(s) for in-store pickup or hold them at Will Call the day of the event. Copies of Son will be available at Red Balloon on Oct. 2.
ADDITIONAL GENERAL ADMISSION EVENT TICKETS may be purchased at Red Balloon Bookshop beginning September 10. Tickets will also be available at the University of St. Thomas OEC the day of the event.
CAN'T MAKE IT? If you'd like a signed book from any of our author events, please call us at 651-224-8320 to pre-pay. We'll have one or more copies signed and reserved for you or shipped anywhere in the United States.
- Two event tickets are free when you purchase Son or any of Lois Lowry’s hardcover books from Red Balloon Bookshop. These tickets will also give you your place in the signing line.
- Additional general admission tickets may be purchased for $5.00 (these tickets are for the presentation only, not for the signing line).
- Event is held at the University of St. Thomas OEC Auditorium. Seating is general admission. Get Directions Here (The OEC is on Cleveland, inbetween Portland & Ashland - #5 on the map)
- Will Call opens at 5:00 pm. Doors open at 5:30 pm.
- Seats cannot be guaranteed for late arrivals.
- Signing line will form after the presentation in order of assigned numbers printed on the tickets.
- Lois Lowry will sign and personalize (first names only) all copies of her books purchased from Red Balloon Bookshop (you must have the signing ticket). For each purchased book, you may bring one book from home to be signed.
- Lois Lowry can only sign books, not bookmarks, posters, pieces of paper, etc.
- Event details may be subject to unannounced changes.
Told in three separate story lines, Lois Lowry’s Son combines elements from the first three novels in her Giver Quartet—The Giver (1994 Newbery Medal winner), Gathering Blue, and Messenger—into a breathtaking, thought-provoking narrative that wrestles with ideas of human freedom. Thrust again into the dark, claustrophobic world of The Giver, readers will meet an intriguing new heroine, fourteen-year-old Claire. Jonas from The Giver is here too, and Kira, the heroine of Gathering Blue. In a final clash between good and evil, a new hero emerges. The whole Quartet has been redesigned in honor of this long-awaited grand finale!
Lois Lowry is known for her versatility and invention as a writer. She was born in Hawaii and grew up in New York, Pennsylvania, and Japan. After several years at Brown University, she turned to her family and to writing. She is the author of more than thirty books for young adults, including the popular Anastasia Krupnik series. She has received countless honors, among them the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award, the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award, the California Young Reader’s Medal, and the Mark Twain Award. She received Newbery Medals for two of her novels, NUMBER THE STARS and THE GIVER. Her first novel, A SUMMER TO DIE, was awarded the International Reading Association’s Children’s Book Award. Ms. Lowry now divides her time between Cambridge and an 1840s farmhouse in Maine. To learn more about Lois Lowry, see her website at www.loislowry.com.