Red Balloon Bookshop’s consignment program allows us to carry and feature a much wider variety of self-published and print-on-demand titles than we could through traditional purchasing.
GENERAL CONSIGNMENT INFO
Red Balloon Bookshop welcomes submissions of published books from local—Minnesota—authors. While we limit our submissions to Minnesota authors to serve our community in the best way possible, on rare occasions we may accept book submissions from authors living outside the state of Minnesota, if the book's topic is particularly relevant to the Minnesota community.
- We pay 60% of the retail price for a consignment book.
- Red Balloon Bookshop agrees to carry books on a consignment basis for a minimum of 4 months. It is the consignor’s responsibility to contact the store to see if we have sold their title and need additional stock.
- If there is a 4-month period without sales, we will contact you to pick up books. If you prefer, we will donate or give away unsold books. We are able to pay complete invoices only and send out payments three times a year. If an invoice contains three books, we will issue payment when all three books have sold. We will pay only for items sold. We issue consignment payments in January, May and September. Damaged or stolen items are the sole financial responsibility of the consignor.
- If we decline to carry your title, books must be picked up within 30 days of notification. Books left longer than 30 days will be donated to schools or other non-profit organizations.
- We do not accept new consignments between Nov. 15 - Dec. 31.
STANDARDS FOR FINISHED BOOKS
- professionally published
- printed and bound spine displaying the title and author's name (no spiral-bound books)
- International Standard Book Number (ISBN) on cover
- suggested retail price printed on cover
- dimensions common to current trade publications for hardback/paperback books
TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL CONSIGNMENTS
- Encourage friends, family, and other contacts to purchase your book at Red Balloon Bookshop.
- Contact your local media and mailing lists to announce that your book is available at Red Balloon Bookshop.
- Send out press releases, review copies, and other promotional materials.
- Get involved with book clubs, libraries, and other community organizations. A wide array of author-coordinated promotions will yield greater success.
Interested in participating in our consignment program?
Please contact Jaya at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!